Come join the fun in creating maze that will carry a marble from the “start position” to the “target tower”.
This is also the time for working on your Lego model for the Lego Contest.
This event is for kids entering 6th grade and up.
During the entirety of this year’s Summer Reading Program, 6th – 12th grade participants will have the opportunity to compete in a Lego Building Contest!
- Use your creativity to design something related to the library: a model of the building, a book cover, a character or scene from your favorite book, or anything else from your imagination!
- To be fair to all contestants, all building needs to be done at the library — using our library Legos. Each Thursday afternoon beginning at 2 pm, you will have time to work on your project. We will then store your designs in a safe place for you.
- All entries must be completed by the end of the day on Monday, July 10th. Library patrons will then vote on their favorite. The winner will be announced on Monday, July 17th. The prize will be a $25 gift certificate.
This year’s theme is Reading By Design: we’re hoping to tap into your creative side! The Summer Reading Program is all about reading for fun, and is open to readers of all ages.
Registration will be held Monday, June 5th through Saturday, June 10th at the library. For preschoolers through 5th grade students, a parent or legal guardian must be present to register the child.
The reading program will kick off on June 12 and run through July 15. We’re giving you five weeks to get those books read this year instead of our usual four! Throughout the course of the program, there will be special activities for all ages. Mosey on over to the library for a complete schedule of events, but here are a few of the regular weekly activities we’re offering this year, please click on the respective links for more information or see our calendar of events for more details.
- Mondays: Wii Games 3-4:40 pm for Preschool-5th grade, 5-6:40 pm for 6th-12th grade
- Tuesdays: Open-House Craft Time for Preschool-5th grade from 2:30-3:30 pm and Adult Coloring Club from 2-3pm
- Wednesdays: LEGO Club for K-5th grade from 3-4 pm
- Thursdays: Preschool Story Time from 10-10:30 am and Young Adult Activities (6th-12th grade) at 2pm
- Fridays: Wii Games Preschool-12th grade from 1-4 pm
Some of the special activities include:
- Tuesday, June 20: Timken-DRIVES Engineering Team will lead our kids’ craft activity
- Saturday, June 24: Knit & Crochet @ Schmaling from 10am – noon for adults and young adults
- Thursday, July 13: Fulton Summer Nights down by the Windmill
- Tuesday, July 18: Schmaling’s Amazing Race of Fulton family scavenger hunt
- Thursday, July 27: Informational Presentation on Foster Parenting by William Hart of DCFS
Celebrate the joy of reading with us this year with our summer reading program designed to make you happy! Remember, here at Schmaling we value your efforts to read your way through summer so much that we give out prizes galore! A grand prize of $50 will be awarded to one of our lucky preschool through fifth grade participants who turns in 5 or more reading slips. One lucky young adult program participant (6th-12th grade) who reads 6 or more books will also win $50. One super lucky adult program participant who reads 6 or more books will win an overnight stay at the Wild Rose Casino and Resort and a $25 voucher at Coaches Corner Sports Bar & Grill.
Summary of Reading Levels Read to Me: Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade = 50 minutes of reading per slip Rookie Readers: 2nd and 3rd grade = 100 minutes of reading per slip Independent Readers: 4th and 5th grade = 150 minutes per slip YA Readers: 6th grade through high school = one entry slip per book read for weekly drawings; 6 or more books qualifies for the grand prize drawing Adult Readers = one entry slip per book read for weekly drawings; 6 or more books qualifies for the grand prize drawing